Message Bored

aDam Rulz!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Say whaaaaaa? No Superman thoughts and reviews?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:00 am 
NDS Administrator
NDS Administrator
 WWW  Profile

You know you're out there, admit it, you've seen the thing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:06 am 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

Going to see it in about 5 and a half hours. I'll let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:56 pm 
NDS Administrator
NDS Administrator
 WWW  Profile

Soooo ... I heard some conversations about it I think but twas busy trying to get this project moving. I got 3 servers to git into prod by July 18th and unfortunately it relies on db services amongst others.

Anyway, I thought it was okay, not great, okay ... good escapist fun but not much else. It wasn't X-Men but given the subject matter I figure Singer did a good job with what he had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:14 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

Not Oracle I hope? :roll:

But yeah... sweet movie. My review should be somewhere...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:13 am 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

http://powet.tv/2006/07/07/superman-ret ... #more-1579

Quote:
aDam:

I came into this movie with mixed feelings. I loved Brian Singer (but not in the way Singer feels about other men) and I thought Spacey’s Luthor looked amazing. I just couldn’t get behind that Brandon Routh guy. As pictures trickled in I was quoted to say “I wanna cut his face with a bottle” more than a few times.

Well being the non judgemental open minded humanitarian that I am I didn’t let this get in my way of the enjoyment of the movie.

As it would turn out Routh did a great job as did the rest of the cast. I found his Clark Kent especially reminiscent of Christopher Reeve’s rendition. As Superman he filled the suit well. I don’t mean that in the way that Brian Singer likes guys but in a way that it’s extremely difficult to have someone not look completely ridiculous in tights. This is partly due to hima nd partly due to a good design of the costume. Spacey as Luthor was spot on. Just crazy and fun in a horrible kind of way. Kate Bosworth did a great Lois. She captured the essence of the character real well.

I surprisingly liked James Marsden in the role of Richard. He seems doomed to play the guy who doesn’t get the girl that we more often that not cna’t help but hate. In somewhat of a success and somewhat of a failing of the movie I sympathised more with him than with Superman for a change. He’s a well intended guy that truly loved Lois and she just couldn’t return the favour.

Thought the movie as a whole was great. The style was all throwbackish. The story was solid. We all saw the kid thing coming but that didn’t make it any less effective. So his hair’s long because there isn’t a pair of scissors in the world that can cut it, right?

My major gripe with the movie was the blatent Superman = Jesus references hammered into my head. Somewhere between him getting stabed in the side and one of his half dozen cross poses I ran out of patience. I actually think it was handled less subtlely than in the Matrix where it was just way too much.

Good movie. Good fun. Go watch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:41 am 
NDS Administrator
NDS Administrator
 WWW  Profile

I had sent this to KD earlier ...

They say there's 2 types of people, you're with Batman or Superman and I'm a Batman guy to be sure. I'm not totally sure how I feel about it, isn't that weird. I enjoyed it but didn't love it. I feel bad for Lois's husband ... but how can you be that stupid really or did he always know it wasn't his kid?

Did you read MiracleMan or did I give that series to you? I guess it could be argued that Miracle Man borrowed from Superman but this seemed the other way around to me and I'm sure Bryan Singer must've read or at least looked at the Miracle Man comics but I'm only guessing. The look of Sup, the religious undertones, everything seemed borrowed from Miracle Man.

One thing that didn't seem evident to me is how anyone can love Superman. He's not really there if you know what I mean. Anyway, this had to be a hard film to come up with for a story and they did a good job tieing that in together. Spacey was damn good and they only went back to the comic-relief Lex at the very end with the island. I don't think personally they should do that and they should just keep the character evil but.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:55 am 
NDS Administrator
NDS Administrator
 WWW  Profile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracleman

I believe I have the Miracle Man Eclipse comics up to the last issue when Eclipse went under (#24). Some amazing stories at the time with Miracle Man becoming a Jesus Like figure. I'm gonna reread to remember some of it now that I'm reminded. Everyone was and is still big on Neil Gaiman but Alan Moore to me was the genius that brought comics to literary heights. He wrote most of the import comics of the day and inspired others I think. Alan Moore's Watchmen was and I would guess still is the Oscar/Emmy/Pulitzer/well you get the point/ of comic books. He also wrote V for Vendetta and I still haven't seen the film adaptation. Anyway, Moore also wrote Miracle Man (Marvel Man). I still have all the original Moore Swamp Things and some of the writing is just beautiful prose.

FRank Miller's The Dark KNight Returns is the defining comic for Batman as another aside if you haven't read it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:18 am 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

I've always been a Batman guy myself. So it's always a little harder to get behind anything Superman related and when I do I just can't get myself to care much for the actual Superman character. So maybe that's why I felt bad for Marsden instead of Supes.

As for him being ignorant well Lois had her memories of the impregnating whiped if we assume it happened during Superman 2 when he renounces his powers so she could have gone out and screwed Marsden the very next day and had no recollection of having been with Supes.

Though she seems to know Superman was the father. This could be from manifestations of super powers she'd seen such as the innability to cut his hair.

Never read Miracle Man or much of any comics in my day really. It would certainly be less suspicious if he ripped off another book though..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:49 am 
NDS Administrator
NDS Administrator
 WWW  Profile

Perhaps rip off is too harsh, there's only so many themes to go around really. Kinda like writing music, there's only so many chords you can go with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:54 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

Haha. Yeah. I watch old movies and I'm like "bah that's been done a million times" but when you stop and think about it although a hundreds movies are like "It's a wonderfull life' that doesn't mean jack since it was done first. Or Star Wars or something. There was nothing like that in 1977.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:13 pm 
NDS Administrator
NDS Administrator
 WWW  Profile

Well there was but it had been some time since something like Star Wars had been done was the thing. It wasn't totally new or anything but recycled Star Trek with a Western bent to it. Anyway, the poster for Superman? with him over the earth there ... you know what I mean? I've seen it before and I'm trying to find it here tonight with a web search but I've seen the imagery before but I can't totally place it. Maybe it was a Superman comic along time ago I dunno

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:17 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

Well Star Trek the motion picture, years after Star Wars, doesn't compare.

Star Trek the series is innovative in it's own way but Star Trek is more about gimmickey episode ideas. Star Wars is cool light sabers anda totally elaborate fantastic world of cool creatures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:31 pm 
NDS Administrator
NDS Administrator
 WWW  Profile

Ewoks, pure genius I say ... and soooooo cool

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:10 am 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

I loved the Ewoks! Though... I was 5 when I saw Jedi.