aDam Rulz!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: HDDVD, Blu-Ray ...
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:09 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

I saw my first HD DVDs today at Best Buy. Had "The Last Samurai" and I think "the Phantom of the Opera" and something else crappy and unworthy of an HD release. Were cheap. Like 32$ for a new format. LD and DVD weren't so lucky. Hell I doubt VHS was so cheap. The little devil appeared on my shoulder immediately imagining how amazing the Last Samurai would look in HD on my TV...

Believe it or not they didn't actually have any players for sale. Not sure why but they get them next week according to the guy. They had one on display though.

I was under the impression that Blu-Ray wasn't going to be out for a long while but now I'm seeing it might not be so long. Weird...

Anyway my initial idea was to see how much the PS3 would be and if it had Blu-Ray support like they boast... and maybe wait like a year after that to see how things settle. Something may emerge as the main and one as the BETA but it could be that they both just stick around like competing consoles. That would be annoying. What format to get? -_-

Maybe they'll make hybrid players...

edit:

Holy fuck!
LINK!

1300$?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:25 am 
Blooper
Blooper

Wait a year and let the nerds fight this out, commerce style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:57 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

I'm worried everyone expects it to be BETA so much that no one jumps on board and it goes the way of laser disc. I really want this technology to be commonplace. I'm really sick of DVDs which were pretty much already behind the times when they came out.

Cost wise it's not looking good for Blu-ray. With HD-DVD players costing about 700$ and Blu-Ray about 1300$ that a pretty easy decision to make. Blu-ray is apparently better but... 45 gigs vs. 50 gigs isn't going to make any difference when it comes to video quality.

Also disc production cost will be something. If Blu-Ray can't be the same price who would get them? Though with CDs and DVDs the cost to manufacture is so small compared to what they sell for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:20 am 
Lakitu
Lakitu

Location: "Moving south... apparently Toad's in a boat down there...
I'm more worried about the bonus shit, sure the movie itself might look better if i go out and buy a new tv... but I'd rather still watch a shitty dvd version with 15 hours of bonus shit than pay 35 bucks for something with just the trailors on it ...

If sony stops fucking themselves over I'll likely get a blue ray player in my ps3... if not ,I'll stick to waiting for it to come out in tv before i watch it -like i did when dvds first came out.