aDam Rulz!
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:54 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

Honestly the only novels I can think of that I've read that are movies are the LotR trilogy and Jurassic Park. Loved LotR but not crazy about JP. In both cases I prefered the books though.

Stuff I've liked that based on books must be more though. Hard to think of what is an isn't based on books. I know Blade Runner and Minority report are Philip K. Dick stuff. Have both those movie. Shawshank and Stand By Me are good movies based on Stephen King books I haven't read. Holes is a good kid's movie based ona kid's book I never read. Princess Bride I keep hearing is an awesome book. Movies based on Nick Hornby books are always good so I assume that's becaue he's a great writter.

Sort of indifferent towards to Harry Potter movies which I never read. I'll just wait for our resident HP junkie to mention how much she's a super fan.

For comics I liked Spider-Man, Batman, X-Men, Hell Boy and Daredevil. The animated Batman movies don't follow any specific comic storylines to my knowledge. Then there's anime movies based on manga. Ghost in the Shell and Akira come to mind. The Sailor Moon S movie is the only one who's story is manga based. Good movie. A lot of my favourite anime are series and not movies. Out of that lot I have only actually read the source material for the Sailor Moon S movie and Akira.

I'm indifferent towards some of the Superman movies. Hated 4 with a passion. Hated the Hulk and Punisher.

I'm sure there's like a billion I"m not thinking of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:31 pm 
Spiny
Spiny

Well, I would take stuart townsend and vincent perez over tom cruise and brad pitt.. never really knew what people saw in Pitt... meh...

Though honestly, what do people expect... I do not think that there is a single movie based on a book that is 100% accurate, and covers <B>everything</b> that the auther put out or even portrays it in the way the author intended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:02 am 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I prefer Pitt and Cruise actually. And Cruise was blond! QotD is a good film in its self, but murders the books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:53 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

To me accuracy to the source material is not very important. Like for the new live action Sailor Moon they did a lot of crazy crap that was not in the manga or anime and that made it interesting. Brought something new to the table instead of just regurgitating the same thing over and over.

That being said it really pissed me off to see elves at helm's deep. Whatever happened to it being man's fight and the elves don't concern themselves with it? Bah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:32 am 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother
 WWW  YIM  Profile

So? At one point Arwen was there. Until the fans found out and started to abuse that bit a lot, so it was cut. *hugs her collectors edition DVD of the Two Towers*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:16 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

Wha? You really think fans hearing about her and bitching about it got her scenes cut from that movie? She was still in it a bunch and moreso in the Two Towers than Fellowship.

I hated Arwen being in it not because I had a problem with the Arwen character but more because I hate that damned Liv Tyler.

And Peter Jackson got stupid. After the success of the first extended edition DVD release he purposely cut out good scenes with the express purpose of putting them in the Two Towers and Return of the King DVD. I say this because there's a lot of superfluous boring crap in the Two Towers and if there's any merit to any of the scenes in the extended edition they would have fit better in the drawn out rambling on for nothing theatrical version of the Two Towers.

But I haven't actually watched any of the extended editions yet. Oh well at least I actually own a DVD player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:58 am 
I have extended edition Two Towers. Even more Gollum!

I'm a big fan. And I do a fair impression. When I used to work in the libaray we read into to the little kids and I did all of Gollum's bits. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:16 am 
NDS Administrator
NDS Administrator
 WWW  Profile

I just finished Nick Hornby's How to Be Good ... sorta, it was an audio book I listened to coming back from New Yawk. It was iffy to me. Anyone can take it if their going on a driving trip somewhere but there's liberal swearing so watch the kiddies.

The best part of the LOTR movies for me is that I carry no book baggage to question it.

I like Liv Tyler in Areosmith videos with Alicia Silverstone, yummy

I don't think a movie has to stay faithful to the book to be good. If you're gonna screw with comic books though be prepared to face the geek wrath. I thought Harry Potter was better as a movie. I thought The X-Men movies were pretty good adaptations that didn't exactly follow the history we know with enough to keep the rapid comic book fans at bay. Thought X2 was better and they could lose Hally Berry as the worst Storm. The whole Dark Phoenix throw in at the end was genius for the old comic book readers.

Should I assume the guest is Halden again LOL ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:48 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

I'd rule out Halden 'cause he wouldn't be up before 6. Rule out Janine for the same reason and 'cause she never worked in a library and had no computer this morning. Thought it was Croweus but ruled out her and everyone else who's time zone and work history I don't know because the IP didn't show any matches to users.

Hrm... I love a good mystery.

Okay little searching and it looks like a school in London so I'll put my money on Croweus's friend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:15 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I was at college kids. More specifically Key Skills. where an idiot woman tells us how to use full stops and i just piss about on the internet.

And it was 11 over here. In the morning... A highly uncivilised time. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:31 pm 
Spiny
Spiny

I don't own a dvd player.. so also no point of me owning the extended editions... ^_~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:25 am 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

Sorry. I only came up with 3 reasons for which it couldn't be you when there were 4.

Quote:
I was at college kids. More specifically Key Skills. where an idiot woman tells us how to use full stops and i just piss about on the internet.

And it was 11 over here. In the morning... A highly uncivilised time.
Is that your way of saying you made that post? Because I can't figure out why you would call it "collector's edition" and then turn around and call it "extended edition".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:09 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I made the post. And I shall call it whatever I want. Plus, Key Skills makes by brain melt, so that's an excuse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:15 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

I take no issue with what you call it. I just didn't think it was you. I suppose my detective skills are sub par.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:12 am 
It just makes it easier for me to get away with murder.

:twisted: