aDam Rulz!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: NYC
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:28 pm 
NDS Administrator
NDS Administrator
 WWW  Profile

Was in New Yawk City for an extra long weekend this past. My darling (shhh, don't tell da wife) was running the NYC marathon. I took this pic of her the next day when we strolled back up to Central Park just before the city workers took down all the signs and banners etc.

It was pretty cool, 37,000 runners, millions of people lining the route that passed through all5 burroughs. Starts at Staten Island and ends in Central Park.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:30 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

Very cool. Didn't know that's what your business down there was. So did she outrun the whole city of New York or what? She has a medal so I guess that means some kind of placement or something however it works on something of that scale.

Will be sure to peep Letterman on Friday or tape it or something though I guess you probably won't be viisble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:43 pm 
NDS Administrator
NDS Administrator
 WWW  Profile

Everyone who finishes gets a medal. You may or may not recall Cory wearing some medal around the office after he spent 4 hours on the toilet or something I can't remember.

Here's my requisite artsy-type pic from Central Park I took...

I took a bunch of photo's but I think this crappy Fuji film I got wasn't so great. Lotsa greenish lines through most of the pics. I know I know, I'm old fashioned and actually have film. I actually had a big conversation about it with a vendor in midtown when I was buying my "Free Winona" t-shirt. That was pretty cool, finding the t-shirt and yapping to the guy ... bought a Johnny Cash shirt off'im too since I talked his ear off and he accepted my offer. Everything's to be bargained for in NY ... oh hell, anywhere I suppose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:49 am 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

Don't remember Corey wearing a medal but then I don't pay much attention some times. Though 4 hours on a toilet is one hell of an accomplishment. Hope he had a gameboy or at the very least some sort of magazine.

I'm surprised that someone can be so digital about his TV yet so analogue with his photography. Well it's a nice picture. New York seems to have more leaves left than we do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:22 pm 
NDS Administrator
NDS Administrator
 WWW  Profile

They were playing golf on the way into NY and they've all closed here really. Lori was also commenting on the leaves on the way down.

I should probably get a digital camera shortly as the price point certainly is lower than it used to be. It's just that I'm a big fan of the printed photograph and with digital I figure it's the total cost is about twice as much or more to print photo's. What is the point of keeping photo's on a computer? I dunno about your family but it's not like everyone sits around the computer looking at old photographs. Just my opinion ... anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:04 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother
 WWW  Profile

A marathone eh? I didn't know you were so hard up for cash you couldn't afford a car. Running is for suckers if you are in that big of a rush catch a cab.

;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:48 pm 
NDS Administrator
NDS Administrator
 WWW  Profile

On that note ... streets are chock full of yellow cabs eh and they all drive like Pat ... but you can't actually ride in one I'm convinced ... I couldn't get one anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:13 am 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

I guess New York's just south enough to start winter later and end it earlier. I'm jealous.

Digital photography is more convient depending on where your photos usually end up and who your audience is. For a guy like me at my age with my kind of friends if I would take pictures with an analog camera I would just end up scanning them and putting them up on Internet. For me digital photography is ideal since I don't share many pictures by sticking them in a photo album and passing them around at family functions because I don't really take pictures of my family. Your situation is obviously a different one.

One thing I like about the digital thing is you can just snap photos indiscriminately and not worry about the cost to print them. Then if there are some worth printing you can pay just for those. Could save you money in the end if there are a lot of crappy pictures in there. Whatever sucks you just forget about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:39 am 
NDS Administrator
NDS Administrator
 WWW  Profile

I agree that for the moment and for your site it's a great idea. I'd like to own one for that reason. My concern is more historical. I'm not sure that for instance my grandparents gave much thought to what would happen to the pics they took and it was more for the "now" even then. I can share digital with all my family (my fatherinlaw only has a digital camera for instance and I'm the probably one of the last hold outs eh LOL). It's not that, it's people sitting around 50 years from now that I think hard copies are neccessary for. I could be wrong of course but then they could scan'em in them eh. I can stick all my photo's on a DVD at this point and show them on the tv but I'm under not mistake this format won't last obviously. I mean I still have 3 VCR's but what good are they today. Alas, I have my wedding on VHS and now i'd have to convert it and will have to at some point. I'll probably try doing it myself by hooking up a VCR to the 'puter but there again ... I know I should do it, but it's seems like such a make work project that isn't pressing ... until it's too late and it's lost. How many photo's do you actually write out to cd or dvd? I do it so not often that if and when my 'puter blows a gasket they'll be gone.

How's that for one longgggg run-on opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:39 am 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother
 WWW  Profile

You can make Hardcopies of Digital pics. I like it because I can take 200 pictures of something and print the 10 I like. No need to print a whole roll or wait until the roll is finished. Film is DEAD in my world but some people :cough: ludites :cough: like the safety of the familiar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:16 am 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

I try to back up all my photos to some sort of disc media. I'm not that good with it though so right now if my computer crashed I"d probably lose that last few months worth of photos. I'm a big fan of keeping things forever and would really hate the idea that 20 years down the road I would not be able to retrieve these photos. Granted most of this stuff is me goofing around with my friend but I look back just 10 years or so and I have pretty much photos of me goofing around with my friends when I was 16. Okay so maybe they're for the most part all the same pictures from last year's photos but I can't remember all the good times we had.

Is a printed physical medium going to last any longer than some sort of disc? No idea. If I knew for sure it would I'd got out and print a bunch of pictures.

Thinking about it though I've printed out pretty much none of the pictures I've taken with my camera. Maybe the only one I did was this photo which isn't exactly printed for a photo album because I cut it up to put on a poster. It's something I'd sort of be meaning to do. You can go and say you want like 100 pictures or something. Would be quite a bit of work for me to narrow that down.

As far as the death of things like analog video. Ugh. I used to tape a lot of stuff off of TV just for the sake of keeping it and watching it over and over. These days a lot more stuff is coming out on DVD so I don't have to o that so much. Still when I try to do this kind of stuff to DVD it's a lot of work. My hard drive is full of over 100 gigs of TV that I still have to edit down, make menus and burn. In that respect it would be easier to work with VHS although the quality would be less than perfect. But for day to day stuff I'll tape whle I'm gone and watch one and forget about my DVR is a life save. I probably watch more stuff I just record and watch later than I actually sit down and watch as it plays.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:28 pm 
NDS Administrator
NDS Administrator
 WWW  Profile

I think I was just called a luddite .. I'm thinking of smashing my computer on the road out in front of my house now :?

It's just that it costs so much to print your own photo's still when I can get an entire roll developed for $4.99. The ole color cartridge don't last too long and then there's the photo paper, ouch ... I'm cheap eh. I've printed some off anyway, quality is getting better and given my printer was sorta free but I haven't refilled the color cartridge in months now. Not sure how well they hold up print'in them ourself, it would be an experiment for sure for the next 50 years. I like when they trot out old photo's at funerals and anniversaries. When my great aunt died last year my aunt brought over the ole shoe box full of pictures that we went through while drinking wine. I think we all had a great time sitt'in around the table and I learned a lot of family history too ... ie ... grandpa had to marry grandma :shock:

George "Opus" Jong

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:42 am 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

I'm so jaded with colour printing I wasn't even thinking of printing at home this whole time. We've got this epson piece of crap that needs the heads cleaned after printing 2 pages and goes through all it's ink after like a dozen decent print jobs. So that's like 10$ a page after all is considered so I'm not really on board with that.

Yeah so until someone can prove to me that a decent printer is out that will last and is cheap enough on ink I can't imagine printing pictures at home. Just get them done professionally and not worry about it I think.

At my grandmother's funeral my cousin came in with a basket of photos, some framed and some in albums. Kind of set them up around the room. It was nice. Lots of them I had never seen before. I couldn't believe how much my father looked like me at my age.