Lakitu
Lakitu

I've been wondering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:50 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

It's an operating system. For example on your computer your operating system is Windows. Mac is another kind of operating system. It's like another OS called Unix which is this really old operating system that is a lot more stable than Windows. So if you want to have like a server or a computer to program on or something then it's ideal to have. If you want to have a computer that will actually support any kind of software then just use Windows.

Also Linux is difficult to install and configure because it's aimed at haXor types who like to tweek with their computers and make others feel like idiots. It's the OS of choice for people who use their computer just to use a computer because they like technology. If you haven't noticed I'm not one of these people. I've never installed it just because I don't really see the point. There's nothing I can't do with Windows that I would need Linux for and a lot I couldn't do with Linux.

Also it's what they call Open Source. This means it's free and you can see the code of how it's made. So people can tweek it really easily if they want and it's easier to make programs to run on it because there are no secrets. This would be nice if everyone used it because everyone would make programs for it but since everyone uses Windows people still make stuff just for Windows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:01 am 
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Linux is mostly for if you want to have a server,
or if you (like me) throw a tantrum and
cause utter destruction when your winbox
crashes.

I dual boot, mostly use windows but when
it crashes, I get very pistoff and boot into
Linux.

Actually Mandrake Linux 10 is the easiest
of all the Linuxes to install and set up.

I say use what works best for you, if Linux
would work better than go for it, but if
windows fits the bill, then use that one,
or if you are torn between them dual boot
like I do.

The thing I don't like about alot of the Linux
users is that they have this "I know everything
but I'm not telling you RTFM" bullpoop attitude,
I will share what I know, I don't know
ev ery thing about Linux, but I know enough
to make Mandrake the easy version work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:18 am 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

I keep meaning to try and set up Linux but I need a reason to do so and right now I don't have one.

One major thing that's bugging me is I want to have a shared file system between my XP and Linux so I can dual boot and still share my data files. Well my Windows drives are NTFS so unless I switch to fat32 I can't do that well enough... and then I can't get file sizes over 4 gigs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:56 pm 
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

I know that feeling, I think.

I have NTFS here too, I wish the ntfs project
for Linux would progress faster, it must be
a very hard code to crack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:37 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

Yeah. I think MS just made it purposely complicated to avoid this kind of thing. From what I've read it's managed sort of like a database so you have to make changes in a bunch of places to actually apply a change. If only someone could get their hands on the source we'd all be gold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:08 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

the other good thing about linux is that its not a huge conspiracy where you cant really delete your history files and data from your hotmail account is kept in a hidden folder, like windows is.

I'm still using windows 98.

Fuck a "free" tin!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:05 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother
 WWW  Profile

aDam wrote:
I keep meaning to try and set up Linux but I need a reason to do so and right now I don't have one.

One major thing that's bugging me is I want to have a shared file system between my XP and Linux so I can dual boot and still share my data files. Well my Windows drives are NTFS so unless I switch to fat32 I can't do that well enough... and then I can't get file sizes over 4 gigs.

.I.

Linux does have a module that enables it to mount and use NTFS partitions. SO now there is nothing holding you back aDam come to the land of the Free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 5:02 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

Unless it's made progress that I'm unaware of it can only read and not write to ntfs.

Right now I have 3 partitions on my new drive. C is the windows OS and program files. E is data. F is unformated which is where I will set up Linux when I get around to it. C is 10gb. E is 166gb. F is 10gb.

I didn't really know about this whole ntfs thing when I set up my system so I made both C and E ntfs. Now I think I will have to find my 100% legal copy of Partition Magic to convert at least my E to fat32. Then I can set up Linux on the other thing with whatever that file system is called.

But really I have like 0 experience with Linux. I have Knoppix which I used for like 5 minutes once. So I'm gonna get Red Hat or something to mess around with some time. Maybe when all's said and done I'll totally hate it or something but right now I don't think it makes sense to talk smack until I try it.

I still don't so much have a need to have anything on Linux which makes it hard to me to motivate myself. My main reason right now is that my new XP install is giving me crashes allready and I think that totally sucks the sac.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:45 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother
 WWW  Profile

I am not sure if the module can write to NTFS or not yet but chell out freshmeat.org or simply google it. Linux has a steep learning curve.

I use it to get more familiar with Unix and so I can think I'm l337.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 9:31 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

Well I know Unix much more than I know Linux right now. So I can fake my way aroudn the command line stuff for all that's worth.

I had looked up the ntfs thing a few weeks back when I read that they couldn't write yet. If that's changed that makes my life easier. I like ntfs because of the no 4 gig limit thing for capturing but I have an 80gb drive I use exclusively for capture that I don't plan on changing that to fat32 since, for the short term at least, I'll keep doing all my capturing from windows.

Okay here's the link where I read you still couldn't read:
http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/ntfs.html#3.2

So what file systems do you use? You've got a dual boot machine don't you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 9:38 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother
 WWW  Profile

I used to have a single box for each OS and that was cool. I used SAMBA to create a share FS that windows could access. Now with the dual boot I use the NTFS package to read my NTFS files and I have a small 1 gb Fat32 part to transfer files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 9:49 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

Makes sense. I guess it depends on how many files need to be used from both OSes. Something I guess I won't know until I get in there... which I'm perpetually putting off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 7:25 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

Installed Fedora today and now I'm all pissed off.

Things that have pissed me off to date:
- I can't boot into Windows. GRUB is configured to point to the right partition but for some reason it won't boot up in it. Says "filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7". Blah!

- The network connection is disabled by default. Didn't take me long to figure out how to disable it but I reenabled it like 4 times before I realised it was set not to be activated at startup. Retarded!

- The floppy drive doesn't refresh! I guess I have to unmount/mount to get it to show the new contents.

- Open office doesn't open. It says it's starting and then it closes. What the crap? A lot of other things sort of do this after a while. Possibly nothing starts after I try open office or possibly due to something else. This problem keeps coming back. I'm ending up rebooting more times then I do with Windows because of it.

- These rounded small fonts are pretty but a little hard to read. not so much a problem as something to ajust to.

- Screen saver gives me a big error message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 8:09 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

Hrm... here I am back in windows. My problem is confusing me.

You see my 200 gb drive is my primary and it's sata. When I go into Linux setup it thinks my80gb ide drive is primary and puts my 200gb as secondary. So GRUB is configured with both linux and windows as hd1 (secondary) instead of hd0... but I don't think that's part of my boot problem.

So now I unplugged my 80gb drive which is somehow checked first for GRUB. Now that it's out it just goes to the 200gb just fine without any problems because the boot sector with GRUB was only configured on my 80gb drive. My 200gb drive is fine. What the crap?

So now I'm all happy in Windows but I can't access my 80gb drive without going getting that other boot sector loading which makes me incapable of getting into windows. So I can't capture which is totally sucking right now. Gr...

Oh yeah and I can't get into windows xp setup and be able to read the sata drive because I need some weird driver and can't remember where I put that disc.

I read some people saying that Linux was accessible for stupid people now. I don't believe that one bit.