aDam Rulz!
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:44 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

What do you call it? Think of answer in your head and then go read the beef and see if I think you're retarded.

http://adamrulz.com/beef/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:17 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

I call it soft drink. I think everyone in the southern hemisphere does.

soda and pop are pretty lame sounding words and I wouldnt use them.

but I guess soda and pop have an advantage because theyre shorter words. maybe it should be called 'soft', short for 'soft drink'.

Fuck a "free" tin!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:03 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

Well yeah it's shorter but there are lots of things with no shortened name. Usually you shorten something to something which is a part of the word rather than something different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:49 pm 
Koopa Paratroopa
Koopa Paratroopa

aDam...do you remeber the link for the 'weird stuff Canadians say' site...I'm curious to see other terms besides chesterfield that I never use and don't even know what they mean...

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:26 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

There may have been another site because this one doesn't go on about Chesterfield that much but this was one of them I was looking at around the time I got angry at this.

http://www.cornerstoneword.com/misc/cdneng/cdneng.htm

Quote:
Soda vs. pop vs. coke: Canadians drink pop. Ask for a soda and you'll
get soda water. Avoid referring to coke unless you mean a product made
by Coca-Cola or the drug that was once added to it. (There is some
regional variation here.)
No stupid it's soft drink.

Quote:
Allophone: Someone whose first language is neither English nor French.
No I've never used or heard this term.

Quote:
Canadian bacon: This is what Americans call back bacon. The long strips you usually eat for breakfast are called side bacon in both countries.
I have never in my life refered to the stuff eaten at breakfast as "side bacon". It's just "bacon".

Quote:
Chesterfield vs. couch: Canadians may sit on either, depending on where you are in the country and how old you are. Couch, sadly, appears to be predominant now, although many Canadians use sofa.
I'd never heard Chesterfield until I one of these lists. Sofa is like French for couch as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
Housecoat: A housecoat is the kind of bathrobe you can wear to get the morning paper, and not worry about being seen by the neighbours.
No that's not a real term.

Quote:
Mickey: A mickey is one of those curved, flat, 13-ounce bottles of booze that winos carry.
No. Mickey is a Mouse that works for Disney.

Quote:
Off side: From the hockey term offside, meaning that a player has raced too far ahead of the puck, this phrase is often used in Canada to mean someone is not on board.
No I have never used this term outside of hockey.

Quote:
On side: Used frequently in Canada to mean that you're in agreement, this term may come from hockey, where players can be offside.
Ditto to above.

Quote:
Pogey: This is a mildly pejorative Canadian word for welfare or, occasionally, unemployment insurance. (Speaking of which, unemployment insurance is now called employment insurance.)
No. I've never heard this word before. And yes the government calls it "employment insurance" but that term is confusing and not used by most people. It is abbreviated to EI though.

Quote:
Pure laine: From the French words for pure wool, this expression refers to French Canadians whose roots go back to colonial New France. It also connotes racial purity, and as such is mildly offensive.
Non. Come francophone je n'ai j'aimais entendu cette expression en Anglais ou en Francais.

Quote:
Railroads vs. railways: Canadians prefer railways.
No it's Railroads actually.

Quote:
Serviette: Canadians refer to serviettes instead of table napkins, especially if they (the napkins, not the Canadians) are made of paper. This is fading with time.
Serviette is the French word. I call them napkins.

Quote:
Sniggler: A sniggler is someone who takes the parking spot you wanted, or who otherwise does something perfectly legitimate, but which nonetheless inconveniences or annoys you. (This isn't a real word, but it is incredibly fun to say aloud. Try it and see for yourself.)
I wouldn't know as I have never said, or heard this word said, aloud.

Quote:
Sook or suck: A crybaby. The adjective is sookie or suckie. Sook rhymes with hook. For some reason, you can get away with using sook in polite company, but never suck.
Never heard sook.

Quote:
States: The US of A is almost always referred to as the States, except in writing, when it becomes the US.
That's right. Only hostages say "America".

Quote:
Twenty-sixer: Actually, with the introduction of metric, this should be called a 750er, since the bottles of booze now contain 750 millilitres rather than 26 fluid ounces. Young Canadian men frequently boast about consuming twenty-sixers and two-fours, all by themselves. You can safely assume they are either lying or dead. See "Pissed."
Now I'm not an alcoholic but I do have a lot of friends who drink a lot and I've never heard this term.

Quote:
Utilidor: Short for utility corridor , this term is used mostly in the Canadian North.
I'm not from the north but I've never heard this term.

Quote:
In the Ottawa Valley, the accent is heavily influenced by the Irish who settled the area. The accent here is even more close-mouthed than it is elsewhere in Canada.
I don't even know what that means but that's supposed to be me.

Quote:
As time goes on and Candians watch more American TV, Canadians everywhere are beginning to sound more like Americans.
Well that's pretty closed minded. Considering how many Canadians there are in the US entertainment industry and how many US shows and movies are shot in Toronto, Vancouver and other Canadian cities I think the opposite is also very true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:39 am 
Lakitu
Lakitu

Location: "Moving south... apparently Toad's in a boat down there...
now where's the site that tells Americans the word is ROOF not Rough and Donut is spelt doughnut... and that we don't say aboot?

hmm.

though, getting back to the soft drink thing, I call it pop..don't know why-but I do, can a'soda just sounds wrong to me like a clown is going to pop up and squirt me in the face.

I call it a couch, canadian Baccon is a movie in my house, a suck...well i wont get into that around chopper :D but I have heard it used in the way mentioned in the quote... no sook though.

I guess that just aboot does it eh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:36 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

Well I've heard "suck" but never "sook".

You're from Toronto, right? The dialect differences between Ottawa and Toronto are probably as prominent as Canada/US differences. Probably mostly due to French influences in this area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:56 pm 
Koopa Paratroopa
Koopa Paratroopa

interesting the terms I've never heard of...I do use housecoat and bathrobe as 2 distinctive terms and, being québécoise, I hear a lot about 'pure laine', although not in a derogatory way; allophone gets used a lot around here. For the rest, I don't know of anyone who uses these words. I thought a Chesterfield was a breed of horse...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:56 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

Then if I said I fell off the chesterfield I wouldn't seem quite as retarded.