Message Bored

aDam Rulz!
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Only a few months away from another masterpiece
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:52 am 
Blooper
Blooper

hahahah man you seem really into talking about me. I wish I knew half as much as my brother tells you about me (almost none of it true). I don't talk about my movie watching habbits with my brother because he rolls his eyes at me if I give praise to anything made before 1980.

If you want to talk about films though, I'm always available to chat with if you want to expand you knowledge past lame amateurish garbage like Bad Taste.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:00 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother
 WWW  Profile

Mr. Glass wrote:
I don't talk about my movie watching habbits with my brother because he rolls his eyes at me if I give praise to anything made before 1980.

I too have seen the eye roll and regularly mock his love of Roland Emerick movies.

Quote:
If you want to talk about films though, I'm always available to chat with if you want to expand you knowledge past lame amateurish garbage like Bad Taste.

Feel free to try and enlighten me but I will let you know that I have had such discussions with David Gilmour, Don McKellar and Bruce MacDonald so if you and your internet based knowledge of film can steer me in a better direction than people in film or that I gained by attending several years of the Toronto Film Festival and Cinefest then by all means professor tell me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:22 pm 
Blooper
Blooper

Halden wrote:
Feel free to try and enlighten me but I will let you know that I have had such discussions with David Gilmour, Don McKellar and Bruce MacDonald so if you and your internet based knowledge of film can steer me in a better direction than people in film or that I gained by attending several years of the Toronto Film Festival and Cinefest then by all means professor tell me.

Well don't we have a broad definition of "discussions" and "people in film"? I think by your definition, aDam might also be a person in film what with his oeuvre Mexican Independence Day. Asking questions from behind a podium in "filmmaker" Q&A isn't a discussion in my book.

I didn't gain any "knowledge" on internet. I was busy, you know, watching movies. I don't think any of that would be useful in a "discussion" with you though.

Next time you run into Bruce be sure to let him know Degrassi sucks balls. You got me, I learned he directs Degrassi on internet because he’s a. I’m sure his only movie of note, Hard Core Logo, also sucks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:32 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother
 WWW  Profile

I don't think that even making Independence Day qualifies you as in film let alone Mexican Independence Day. I wasn't referring to Q&A sessions I was more referring to sit down talks over beer but I digress.

I too have spent countless hours watching movies from Foreign Cinema to Hollywood mass production to experimental and can expound on cinematography, writing and directing as much as the next guy with access to a DVD player and a message board.

Hard Core Logo is an excellent adaptation of Micheal turner's punk rock novel and is one in a line of great films by MacDonald such as Highway 61 and Dance me Outside. His move to schmaltzy teen drama on TV doesn't lessen his work in Canadian cinema.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:37 pm 
Blooper
Blooper

Halden wrote:
Hard Core Logo is an excellent adaptation of Micheal turner's punk rock novel and is one in a line of great films by MacDonald such as Highway 61 and Dance me Outside. His move to schmaltzy teen drama on TV doesn't lessen his work in Canadian cinema.

I'm sure you're an authority on indy Canadian films made the two or three years you attended TIFF, but I really don't have much interest in them. If that ever changes I'll be sure you ask you for some recommendations.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:32 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother
 WWW  Profile

Mr. Glass wrote:
I'm sure you're an authority on indy Canadian films made the two or three years you attended TIFF, but I really don't have much interest in them. If that ever changes I'll be sure you ask you for some recommendations.

That is a good one. You are on the money there. I completely stopped watching movies in 1998 and even then I was only watching Indy Canadian stuff. I guess I have been put in my place.

Let me know when you are done your list so we can begin discussing more than just that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:06 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother
 WWW  Profile

Go ahead and judge:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:08 am 
Blooper
Blooper

I'm not sure what lists you're referring too. I don't really follow any. For a while a buddy of mine was knocking off the IMDb top 250 in order and I'd talk to him about the movies he'd seen since no body else I knew had. Once he got to about 100 I checked to see how many I hadn't seen and there where only about 30 so I watched them all. It was actually a good idea though since most them surprised me and I'd likely never have watched them otherwise.

As for the 1001 movies book, that was a gift. I browse it from time to time if I'm looking for idea's for what to watch but I'm not trying to watch them all. Some of them are downright absurd (meet the parents?) Maybe in a few years if I notice there's only a few dozen left I'll watch the rest of them, but I'm not there yet. I'll be sure to let you know if I ever decide to. What exactly is your obsession with lists though? I know a few people who are watching movies off of lists, I don't begrudge them. It's an easy way wade through quality titles. It's not for me though. The time I spent watching the last few IMDb titles wasn't very enjoyable.

If I have time I'll check of the movies I've seen off of your list. I'm sure I've seen more and you'll claim it's because I've been watching movies exclusively out of the book but here we are.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:55 pm 
Blooper
Blooper

Here you go

I've seen about 60 more movies on that list than you have. Go ahead and start making excuses.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:12 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother
 WWW  Profile

Mr. Glass wrote:
Here you go

I've seen about 60 more movies on that list than you have. Go ahead and start making excuses.

Congrats. I won't make excuses.

I was discussing this little exercise in internet culture that is the flame war with my wife and she very astutely pointed out that:

a) I was spending too much time arguing for arguments sake.
b) I was arguing with myself from 10 years ago

so I will try and grow up a bit and say that you are nobly spending more time watching movies rather than TV and even if they are movies that I do not consider worth while it is still a good exercise.

Enjoy the movies and if you want to continue this as an actual talk on movies, films etc.. feel free.

P.S. I enjoyed Meet the Parents and do not feel it is a must see movie. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:26 pm 
Blooper
Blooper

Nothing wrong with a flamefest from time to time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:16 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother
 WWW  Profile

Mr. Glass wrote:
Nothing wrong with a flamefest from time to time.

It is good for the soul (if such a thing existed).

So have you seen Mr. Shama....'s newest creation? I have heard nothing good yet even from some major fanboys.

I am also very scared of his Take on Avatar as I love that cartoon.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:23 pm 
Blooper
Blooper

I haven't.

I'll be going on Sunday afternoon, but the outcome so far doesn't look good. I've never been an apologist. If it's bad I'll be the first to admit it, but with Shyamalan I feel it's always best to judge for myself.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:08 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

Well I'm glad your agreement started with agreeing that I have bad taste in movies...

Star Wars in 1977 and I like it! There's probably 1 or 2 other movies I own that are older than me. Haha. I'm sorry if I don't automatically assume that anything new is shit and that they don't make them like they used to.

So I'm going through this list trying to find something I've seen that neither of you have um... I'm working my way back in time and the Colour Purple I've seen a bit of, though I wouldn't say I've seen the whole movie...

Ah ha! Kramer vs. Kramer, from 1979. That's pre 1980, it's a good movie, and you assholes haven't seen it! I don't think I'll be finding anything else. So go watch Kramer vs. Kramer because then I won't have anything on either of you.

Halden, you should totally come see the Happening. It will teach us what's going on with all those bees!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:09 am 
Blooper
Blooper

aDam wrote:
I'm sorry if I don't automatically assume that anything new is shit and that they don't make them like they used to.

I wouldn't waste my money on recent movies if I didn't like any of them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next