aDam Rulz!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Asteroids!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:33 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

Despite the popularity of asteroid thread movies a few years ago, I continue to consider this threat to be extremely minimal to human civilisation.

This story is a good example of such a threat:
http://www.spacedaily.com/news/asteroid-05d.html

Simply put, asteroids are in no way affected by man. While they have happened in the history of the planet, we can see by the simple fact that major collisions happen very infrequently, that there is a low probability of one happening in the immediate future.

Surely in the number of thousands and millions of years from an extinction level asteroid colision is likely, but I consider it very likely that by then humanity will have reached a species ending apocalypse by another means, gained the technological ability to thwart such a threat, or gained he capability to colonise space.

Still, standard apocalypse preparation will prepare people for such a circumstance, assuming we could somehow not know of this impending threat, for those who might survive.

Post subject: Re: Asteroids!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:47 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother
 WWW  Profile

The odds are astronomical :lol: and the chance of surviving quite slim (depending on the size of the Asteroid) so this is by far the hardest Apocalypse to prepare for. Some plans to blast a nuke at an asteroid as just silly but other propose giving a gentle shove to re-route it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3610953.stm

Overall I think Asteroid would be a devastatingly difficult to deal with.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:55 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

It really depends on the scope. I mean... if it's small and likely to destroy something the size of a small town, evacuation is terribly simple. I suppose it's a matter of calculating the impact location early. For example, if they could only say something like "easter Canada somewhere" then we would have a lot of trouble escaping in a short timeframe, but given a few days or even weeks, no problemo.

The situations we could prepare for would be those where the sky is blacked out with dust, but people no near the impact point survive. That would be a matter of being prepared for the cold and lack of food that would surely follow. Infrastructure could, for at least a short time, still work. Feasibly, but without social breakdown there's no much to even plan for.

One needs to be prepared to heat and feed themselves for a considerable length of time without any sunlight to speak of, and that's not easy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:02 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother
 WWW  Profile

The impact size is indeed the key variable.

I am unsure what the theoretical limit of survival is for humanity if the sun is blotted from the sky.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:08 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

If we're talking about total death of all vegetation, that's bad, but assuming the sky clears up we definitely have the ability to plant things and bring back vegetative life at least in a smaller area.

Alternatively, there's the use of fossil fuels or nuclear power to produce light to grow things, or that dark growing shit they use for mushroom and asparagus. I don't know the details of how those technologies are feasible, but I should educate myself.