aDam Rulz!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:56 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

God damn I hate that DivX ;-) piece of shit codec.

I went on this month so print it out and read it on the shitter or something.

http://adamrulz.com/beef/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:58 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=48542

There's also a post up in alt.binaries.movies.divx but I can't put a link up to that. It's titled "I hate DivX ;-)".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 10:45 pm 
Bullet Bill
Bullet Bill

This is the most ridiculous beef you've ever done.

There's nothing elite about using DivX. Everyone uses it because it has the best quality to size ratio. Good-looking MPEGs are fucking enormous. And don't even get me started on VCDs. Garbage. Absolute garbage.

DivX video files are meant to be viewed on a computer, and they work perfectly when used in that manner. The only time you'll run into any problems is when some dumb fuck doesn't have a clue about encoding. I've seen 100 meg, 20 minute files that look ten times better than 250 meg files of the same length. Wow. Talk about discrepancy. It all comes down to the encoder. That disgusting shot of Sailor Jupiter is an ideal example of a poor encode. Terrible.

DivX has always worked with Windows Media Player. Always. If you can't get it to run on your computer, then something's fucked up -- but it ain't the codec.

Of course DivX isn't equal to DVD-quality -- to say so would be grossly ignorant. However, it does offer the closest thing available on a computer... at a reasonable file size. And that's the way it is, until something better comes along.

So in closing, aDam and his opinions on this matter suck an anus and an ass. Hoowa!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:37 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

Hey joe. I expected you'd come in defending Div-X as we'd have this conversation before.

We can sit here all day and argue over what's better and splitting straws. I think Div-X is ugly. You don't. The real measure I was trying to lay out here were that Div-X is no where near to DVD quality which is the claim that is made by the perveyors of this plague on digital video.

As for the WMP problem well I've always used it to do Div-X in the past. After I downloaded the latest version yesterday I tried to open the video and it played like shit. Is this my problem? Well I installed the software as instructed (there were no actual instructions) so there's really no foul on my side.

As for the Sailor Jupiter picture... well of course it looks like shit. I set the bitrate down into the toilet to maximize the artifacing. It's Div-X to the extreme.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:45 pm 
Bullet Bill
Bullet Bill

I love you, aDam. I really do. And your ass too.

But I'll never understand your feelings for DivX. DivX is the digital reincarnation of Christ. You must... worship... DivX!

Honestly, I know nothing of the inner workings of DivX. What I do know is that I prefer is vastly over the .asf and .rm anime encodes from the days of yore. And as I said, everything else is just too big. For me, DivX is that convenient middle road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 12:34 am 
testing smilies, testing smilies... :) :( :p ??? :angry: .I. :( ??? ... ahem. Ok. Here are my 2 cents. Real media sucks. Avi's suck. VCDs are good but take a couple of light years to finish encoding. DivX .I. are ok. I think DivX .I. is below good. Average. Like posting a 5 minute instructional how-to video on how to reboot windows average. That's about how long I can tolerate watching a DivX .I. movie.

Now in all seriousness aDam, you and I have looked at encoding algorithms before...Unless these guys writing it are extremely good in the image processing field, with credentials, I don't think we're gonna be seeing any nouveau science with regards to movie quality.

Personally, I've abandoned DivX .I. completely. All I can say is HD space is cheap. Time to get a large HD and encode to the quality that pleases you.

sometimesboredinottawa

P.S. I feel privileged being one of the first 5 people on your "I just updated my website so come and read it, biatch" mailing list... sniff, sniff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 1:08 am 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

Oh man... I just read the mailing list e-mail I sent. I should have proof read that shit. Oy!

Anyway if Div-X is really the digital incarnation of Christ then... well why should I like it? I'm not religious in the least bit!

Anyway I certainly sympathise with anyone on dial up. There's really no good way of getting something real good in a small file. I guess when compared to other 100mb/episode alternative Div-X is good in a way that the alternative are completely unacceptable. I mean .rm is shittier than shit and don't even try to get an MPEG to work on anything much lower than VCD bitrates.

So yeah for a minute there I thought that the wink ;) was giving the finger. I've seen boards where they just map the emoticons differently so it just substitutes another but the middle finger is totally dot I dot over here! w0rd!

Good to hear you're pissed at Div-X xotx. I remember how you said you had that good Unbreakable on 2 discs which makes sense for something so high bit rate.

Anyway I'm such a hypocrite since I'm downloading all these new Anime shows in Div-X as we speak. Of course I'd prefer an alternative but sometimes we have to play the hand we've been dealt. I would like to boycott the format but it's so commonly used that I really can't make that kind of sacrifice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 6:12 am 
You all might want to take a look what the people over Digital-digest think: http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12557

I'm just setting "some" misunderstanding right...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 8:08 am 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

im too lazy to read this beef, i have no clue about div x.

Fuck a "free" tin!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:02 am 
Let's just say what he put in the "beef" was total nonsense and blatant lies...

If you don't believe me, just head over to the digital-digest forum, and have a look at how many of his points had been pointed out wrong and how (in vain) he tried to defend his claims.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:11 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

Quote:
Anonymous
Ahahaha! Coward.

Anyway I don't see how that thread over there does anything to refute anything I've said. It's just a bunch of opinion and people bitching about stuff that has nothing to do with anything.

To say I lied about anything is just blatantly false. The only thing anyone could even argue I'm wrong about is a completely subjective opinion on the quality of a video.

Oh and I just love the way you go and try to zing me by exposing the truth by posting a link to something that I've already link to at the begining of this thread. Ooooh! You got my number! Well played cock smack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:07 am 
Hi aDam,

This is John from scHool. I always enjoy your SITE aDam and chell it out once a month for your beef.

Personally I really like DivX. I mean very much so, its great.

You see, people are generally too retarded to use conversion software correctly - so Im not surprised most rips are shitty regardless of the codecs used or whatever.

Thats my beef. Often when people rip movies I find up to 50% of the file size is just the AUDIO TRACK ! I mean c'mon - do you know what youre actually doing ? You dont need to keep the DVD quality sound !!!!!!!

I ripped Akira myself and its < 450 MB full size on a 19'' monitor and it looks & sounds great. I mean its still super sharp.

And dont forget that most people sit with their face maybe 12 inches away from their little monitors so things look worse. But when watching the same shit on the TV you might be 5 feet away. And the res. on your TV dont come close to the monitor so keep that in mind too.

Also most cell animation inherently wont code as well as say, Saving Private Ryan, regardless of the format, mpeg or avi.

Hmm what else should I say to make myself look like more of an arrogant prick :)

chell out the editing tool VirtualDub (free). Its only 2MB but looks quite professional and does all the same shit suites costing up to 1000USD can do.

So to sumarize...(In my Opinion) its not the codecs at fault but rather the people who cant use software correctly. Ive seen many great looking DivX movies at 640x480 (compressed to < 12-15% of the orig. DVD source) but they were created by people who knew how to use whatever software they were using - all in DivX.

aDam do you have an Apex DVD player? I have one and with the hacks it plays anything - chell out
http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/ if youd like.

Best Regards,

John

PS I like VCD too but its still the same technology I watched movies with back in 1981 when I was 6 years old. Just that now the discs are smaller, ie CD size not fat large pizza size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 2:00 am 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

Hey John. Good to hear from you. If you want to keep up with the site you should chell out the mailing list thingy I set up.

Anyway bad encoding pisses me off too. I could do a whole other beef on that. For some reason a lot of the .mpg stuff I download ends up looking crappy too. Like I used to get Justice League and He-Man because it didn't play here yet and it was asstasticly bad. I mean converting to mpeg is totally straightforward. I don't know how people can screw that up.

Of course there's always certain TV/monitor issues to consider. Still the vertical resolution on a TV (NTSC) is 480 lines. I've never seen a video clip with that kind of resolution. Horizontal is different though. Anyway I always like to stay a little far back when I watch anything on my computer. The worse looking the further back. I'd pull the couch up to the desk when I'd watch these craptastic Sailor Moon real media files. Ouch!

I've done some Div-X to VCD with the purpose of watching it on a TV. The results aren't usually that good because you sort of get twice the damage. Of course I did that LoTR one and it turned out great. Depends on the bitrates and such.

As for the animation thing well that's really all I work with. I encoded a clip of me on the news (dressed up for episode I) when I first got my capture card but since then I've exclusively worked with animation. Naturally there are certain different issues than with fleshy stuff like pr0n or whatever.

I don't have an Apex. I hear they're good for region free stuff. I really want to get myself a region free player or a region 2 player for when Sailor Stars gets released in Japan. Hopefully I'll be rich by then.

I saw an Apex on display at Walmart a few weeks ago and they were playing Tarzan (the Disney one) and I saw it junk out and do the square artiface thing. You have many problems like that with your machine?

You saying you can do Div-X and stuff on an Apex? I heard there are some with flashcards and stuff but I wansn't sure to what extent those worked.

When you say 1981 do you mean laser discs? I don't know how old that stuff is. Anyway I have a laser disc player I got to feed my Sailor Moon obsesion and I like it. I mean I don't really care about the big machine. It's annoying to have to flip during a movie but for a TV show it's good because you never have an episode that's split on more than 1 side. I wish you could get laser disc quality on a CD. I bet that would fit like a minute since it's uncompressed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 2:05 am 
Bullet Bill
Bullet Bill

Perhaps you should look into XviD, aDam. I've only got one video file that uses it so far, but it looks pretty damn sweet, and a lot of people are claiming it's a "better" codec. Image

Then again, the episode is 22 minutes at 200 megs, so who knows?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:12 am 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

One of the things I picked up yesterday was that and I didn't know what it meant. I'll look into it.