It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I hate Strikes and Protests
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:05 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

http://adamrulz.com/beef/

I'm trying to be proactive with this beef. There's a planned public service strike on Tuesday. I wanted to get all my hate out about the subject before it affected me as they will likely be blocking me from entering my workplace and I don't want my bitching to appear to simply be a knee jerk reaction to frustration over waiting long in the line or something. As I write this beef I have never been inconvinience by a picketting line. I have been affected by the stopping of services though but that's a different issue altogether.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:25 pm 
NDS Administrator
NDS Administrator
 WWW  Profile

Hmmm ... so what's you solution then for disaffected employees who's employer treats'em like 2nd class workers? I'm gonna sound like I'm pro-union but one of the largest group of employees to ever get taken advantage of was young I/T workers in our time. You gett'em young, you work'em to death early ... they get laid-off. I should mention I thought Microserfs was one of the best genius books of my time.

The whole thing smacks of politics though doesn't it ... there's never any obvious common sense. One side asks for more than double what they know they can get, the other side offers less than half. How about just begin with something that's reasonable instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:32 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

But the system failed these people. Unions weren't there to help them. There's a big boom and everyone was hired into the private sector and then when the bubble popped they all lost their jobs.

I don't know what kind of a union, if any, Nortel has but if they've got one it sure does suck.

Anyway I'm not perfect and don't have a perfect alternative to striking but I don't really see it as being any better than nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:04 am 
Spiny
Spiny

wow, almost wondering if your beefs were going to become like your simms..

Hmmm, my dad has gone on strike a lot...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:44 am 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

Oh come on this one isn't really that late. I had like 5 ideas for beefs already that I"ve forgotten.

Well that sucks your Dad having to strike a lot. Hope my beef didn't offend you or anything.

People lose so much pay while striking that I often wonder if they end up making more money when they get a raise than if they just didnt' strike in the first place. I could do the math but I don't have any numbers to put it against.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:21 am 
NDS Administrator
NDS Administrator
 WWW  Profile

What system failed these people? These people had no interest in unions to be sure. Would you like to join one? You don't see any benefit but you directly benefit from union bargaining since we follow the public service computer union guys and gals. I was very anti-union when I was younger but I think I've changed my mind. I agree this is a no-win situation though for the ps workers. They'll lose pay and then the difference in a raise will never make up for the lost wages since they're probably something like 0.5% apart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:08 pm 
Spiny
Spiny

This is October... Your beef was for September... Even worse than CPS and their banners ;)

i beg to differ. when my dad went on strike, yes, we were hard up for cash for well over 3 months, but considering the reason they went on strike was because they wanted everyone to take a pay dock, which would have meant my dad would have been making around what he did when he first started his job over 20 years ago, and the fact that they wanted to get rid of almost all the health benefits involved. Some other factors about hours, which I can get into.. b ut it's weird. As it stands right now, we are covered to go to the dentist every 9 months, so they won a bit there, because it used to be every 6 months, but it's better than having to pay for it all ourselves. So ya, maybe it just depends on the situation, but my dad did not lose money in the long run by striking . . .

As for protesters, ya, that can be dumb if they are out harassing people. That just makes me not want to sympathize with them, or people protesting really stupid things that they should have no say in because they are just trying to impose their sets of beliefs upon another...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:49 pm 
NDS Administrator
NDS Administrator
 WWW  Profile

Sorry, I should qualify my statement, I'm talking about the Public Service alone here as far as table 1 negotiations are concerned in Ottawa. They are very close to agreeing on salary and any percent we're talking about will be eaten up if they continue to be off for any length of time. I think the only benefit they wanted to remove was marriage leave ... oh boy ... wheeeeee-haw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:49 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

Okay now I never claimed that a beef was meant to be done by the beginning of the month in question. In a perfect world a beef would always be done on a day of the month that the beef is about. I've slipped lately on this and pretty much have done that for most of the months. I'd say I'm as bad, not worse than the CPS banners. Just check the news to see the dates of when I post my beefs and for what months they are... one of these days I'm writting a beef on people complaining about my beefs being late. ;p Anyway...

Well that certainly seems like a case where it's gotten a little more to the extreme case where striking or something is necessary. To bring someone's salary back to that extent seems really crazy. I guess I'm just an idealist but if that stuff could be worked out without a 3 month strike both sides would be better off yet there seems to be no way to make that happen.

The examples I was thinking about myself were things like public service and stuff like that. I believe this time around they are striking because they are only getting a 1.7% salary increase this year although I am not sure of the exact number. They never strike about getting things taken. They strike about not getting raises fast enough. I'm also thinking bus strikes which were for similar reasons. They were out for a long time though and it probably took years to make up for that hit. But like I said I haven't done the math. I'm not an economist. I was just wondering how often that worked out because people seem to strike for so long it really seems to suck for everyone.

Benefits are tough and that's very different. When I hear of something like miners striking because they have unsafe work conditions or something then yeah of course that stuff is ridiculous. I guess every situation has it's own reason for needing a strike. My sphere of knowledge is a little limited as I get benifits out the A that I don't think they'll ever be taking away.

As for an alternative I'll admit I just don't have one. I'm not here suggesting a reform to the way the world works. I'm just bitching about striking. Seems like something that often hurts everyone involved. I'm not here to rule the world but I'm up to complaining about it.

I had my first run in with the picket line this morning. It was really lame. 2 hours 40 minutes to do what usually takes 2 minutes. Not too much fun. Got into it a bit with the picketers who can't comprehend that I wasn't supposed to be striking although I have nothing to do with them. I don't pay union dues so I have nothing to do with your union! Lame.

Here's a few other people commenting on the events of today's strike:
Halden bitching about it.
Kris bitching about it.

So pretty much today I'm more pissed off at the way strikers like to stop people that have nothing to do with nothing from going on with their daily business and less pissed off at the simple concept behind the act of striking. It may bug me that people have to do it but without an alternate suggestion there's not much I can say about it. That wasn't the main bulk of my beef in the first place though.

I think we can all agree that professional athletes are all losers for striking though. The world can get on fight without them though so F 'em in the A!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:48 pm 
Spiny
Spiny

So, then... it's not necessarily strikes and protests that you have a beef with but people on strike and who protest for no real good reason..?

And I am not familiar with the ottawa thing, so can't comment on that... ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:05 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

Of course. I guess the title of my beef isn't perfect in the sense that I never had any issue with the act of protesting and weak problems with the act of striking. My problem is the disrupting of stuff that often comes with it.

I've never striked but I've protested before. Didn't block traffic in doing so though.

I guess a lot of my beefs are like that. Like my beef on fat people or my beef on religious types when you read them only really beef on subsets of those things. Okay maybe it's not a lot of my beefs but just a few of them rather.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:41 am 
NDS Administrator
NDS Administrator
 WWW  Profile

Maybe they're not really "beefs" per say since they all read more or less like chicken? :lol:

Hopefully this'll all be done with no later than the weekend anyway

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:18 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

I don't know... chicken of the month doesn't have the same ring to it.

Well today was much better. I think yesterday I just got way too upset at the whole situation. Provoking those guys didn't help me and didn't help them. I was pissed off for a good part of the day but finally had a good evening and by the next morning I was in a much better mood about the whole thing. I just got so sick of it that I just decided to be good this morning and although I still had to wait some 2 hours it wasn't that bad because, without getting into it with them, I was in a much better mood at work.

I can't stay mad at these people who are striking. If that was us I know all my coworkers would be out there too so it would be silly for me to stay mad at them. I still think those union whores who harassed me for ID and are pretty much in full control of the holding up the cars process are jerks but that doesn't give me the right to take it out on the horde by honking at them and stuff.

I guess sometimes you have to get really over the top pissed off at someone to be able to make peace with them if that makes any sense. I've been in such situations in the past. Maybe everyone else doesn't have rage issues like me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:22 am 
NDS Administrator
NDS Administrator
 WWW  Profile

You'll be happy to know I stuck an empty water bottle in the car just in case today ... the 2 hours is a long time to hold it fer an old guy like me eh. I did not, I repeat, did not have anything to drink this morning at all, whew.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:24 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

Good to know. Now I will never use your sandwhich container or scale... and I'll have to ask about any bottles.

Well today was nice. I had to bring my car in to get tweaked so I took the bus and was able to just walk past the line. Was the first person in our area to get to work. Going out to lunch they had the names of scabs up on some bristol boards. How lame. Gonna go fight the line again this morning. Maybe do the cards and fake cell phone as we go buy just to mess with their minds but still don't want to be doing anything mean again.