Message Bored

aDam Rulz!
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: aDam goes to see Star Wars in digital...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:06 am 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

I'm in Toronto for a course. They have Star Wars in digital here but have never had a digital theatre in my home town of Ottawa. I'm all over this like stink!

So I'm not sure exactly where the theatre is since I used google maps which is a big fan of the "it's around here" school of thought for directions like for example it thought my hotel was on the other side of a major street. Bah.

Anyway I'm getting to where I know the theatre is close and there it is! This massive AMC 30 theatre. It's about 6:15 and the movie starts at 6:40pm. Awesome. More than enough time. So I walk into the theatre...

Hm... Star Wars not showing on the screen of what's showing... oh that's okay one of the screens is off so it could be on that one... though S is not there... and there are no people at the ticket counter... what the hell? So I go over to the little ATM thing and see if it's showing as playing on there. Yeah... no Star Wars for Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.

God damn it in the A with a Bull's... well yeah... so Star Wars is not playing at this theatre out in this remote location. It's getting on 6:20 no and I'm not about to drive to another theatre to see another movie. I resign myself to go eat some food at Boston Pizza because my plan was to eat afer the movie.

Walking over to Boston Pizza... oh what's that off on the other side of the highway? Collossus? Ah! That's the actual theatre that's playing Star Wars. Apparently there are 2 theatres around here. One that sucks and doesn't play any movies before 7pm and doesn't even play Star Wars despite having 30 screen and one that has actual movies.

So I hope in my car and frantically drive to the other theatre in this horrible Toronto traffic through a highway which I don't even know which side I'm exiting on.

But whatever I made it to the theatre in time and saw the movie.

The screen wasn't as big as I'd expect it to be. I hear digital and I think they must be putting these movies in these IMAX sized theatres or something but it wasn't. Just a normal screen even on the smallish side when compared to Ottawa theatres. I guess digital doesn't depend on screen size.

The colours were really vivid. This seems to be the big advantage of the digital thing. Nothing washy at all. No dirt on the screen. Really clean colours.

Pixelated at times. Not in an obvious way but in a way that at certain times a DVD looks pixelated. Mostly just when something like Vader's mask would show up or the crawl something.

Anyway it looked nice and all but I guess by all the elitists telling me how uncomparably amazing watching a movie in digital was I expected something that film couldn't even compare to and it wasn't really that noticeable a difference. Like a massive HDTV or computer monitor really.

And no there were no new scenes contrary to what I'd been told by idiot lyers who said Qui Gon talking to Yoda on Degoba was in it. Bah! Idiots. -_-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:14 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother
 WWW  Profile

Very cool. Did it cost Mucho Dineiros?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:18 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

9.95$! I was expecting to dish out at least 20$ for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:20 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother
 WWW  Profile

That is cool, I had a buddy in NYC that went to see it in Digital and it cost him 15$ US. All that to hear Vader yell NOOOOOO in digital.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:21 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

Well THX, Dolby, CD, DVD, LD, satelite, digital cable all have digital sound. Only 4 of those have digital picture which is the draw of this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:22 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother
 WWW  Profile

Indeed. Orange has a peel as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:24 pm 
King Koopa
King Koopa
 WWW  Profile

w0rd!